A Sensory Friendly Day out with Thomas at The Workshops Rail Museum
22 December 2015
Thomas the Tank Engine is welcoming children with sensory processing difficulties to enjoy an afternoon of fun at The Workshops Rail Museum in Ipswich on 12 January, from 1pm to 4pm.
The Sensory Friendly Day out with Thomas event has been developed with the guidance of Autism Queensland to create a quieter version of the popular Day out with Thomas experience, suitable for little fans to enjoy hands-on activities in a comfortable environment.
Queensland Museum Network CEO Professor Suzanne Miller said the event follows success of similar events at Queensland Museum’s Sciencentre at South Bank.
“We’re proud to be working with Autism Queensland to ensure our operational exhibits are modified to suit the needs of children with sensory processing difficulties.”
Autism Queensland CEO Rod Cameron said the size of The Workshops Rail Museum and exhibit design would work well for those families whose children struggle with crowds.
“Thomas should be a wonderful experience for the families who participate in this special event. The kids can have a great day out and their parents can connect with others who experience similar challenges.”
What to expect
- By 1pm displays and activities noise levels will be reduced
- The usual performance by The Fat Controller will change to a quieter storytelling session
- The Museum will remain open while the change occurs from the usual event to sensory friendly
A Day out with Thomas is packed full of things to see and do for the whole family:
- Meet Thomas, The Fat Controller and their friends including Douglas, Donald, Annie and Clarabel, D199, Trevor the Traction Engine and George the Steamroller
- Enjoy story time with The Fat Controller and Thomas
- Dress up as a magician and try out some magic tricks
- Take a miniature train ride and see all the fascinating sights of The Workshops Rail Museum – Queensland’s oldest working rail yard
- Let off steam in the indoor playground Nippers Railway
- Explore The Workshops Rail Museum to meet some of Thomas’s friends, including beautifully restored carriages, steam trains and the largest model railway of scenic Queensland
Just the facts: Sensory Friendly Day out with Thomas
- Tuesday 12 January, 1pm to 4pm
- The Workshops Rail Museum, North Street, North Ipswich
- Purchase tickets at theworkshops.qm.qld.gov.au or at the Ticket Office
- For more information call (07) 3432 5100
- Family ticket $63 (2 adults and up to 4 children)
- Adult $21
- Concession $18
- Child (3-15 years) $12
- Child (under 3 years of age) FREE
Tickets can be purchased online at theworkshops.qm.qld.gov.au or on-site at the Ticket Office. For more information call (07) 3432 5100 or visit theworkshops.qm.qld.gov.au
The Workshops Rail Museum, part of the Queensland Museum Network, is winner of Australian and Queensland Tourism Awards for Heritage & Cultural Tourism.