Thomas the Tank Engine steams into The Workshops Rail Museum
11 December 2015
From Boxing Day the world-famous blue locomotive, Thomas the Tank Engine will steam into The Workshops Rail Museum for Day out with Thomas 2016 – with magic activities, Australia’s biggest Thomas event.
Queensland Museum Network CEO Professor Suzanne Miller said the Thomas program has something for the entire family, from cartoon fun to exploring a real heritage railway workshop.
“Thomas is a loveable character that introduces children to the fascinating world of railway, and it’s wonderful to be able to host it at a site like The Workshops Rail Museum which plays such a huge role in Queensland’s rail history.
“A childhood fascination with the iconic blue locomotive can grow into a lifelong appreciation of trains, not only for the latest technology and innovation, but for the historical journey of these great engines,” Professor Miller said.
A day with Thomas is packed full of things to see and do for the whole family:
- Meet Thomas, the Fat Controller and their friends including Douglas, Donald, Annie and Clarabel, D199, Trevor the Traction Engine and George the Steamroller
- Enjoy story time with the Fat Controller and Thomas
- Dress up as a magician and try out some magic tricks
- Take a miniature train ride and see all the fascinating sights of The Workshops Rail Museum - Queensland’s oldest working rail yard
- Let off steam in the indoor playground Nippers Railway
- Explore The Workshops Rail Museum to meet some of Thomas’s friends in 15 larger-than-life exhibits including beautifully restored carriages, steam trains and the largest model railway of scenic Queensland
- Family ticket $63 (2 adults and up to 4 children)
- Child (3-15 years) $12
- Adult $21
- Concession $18
- Child (under 3 years of age) FREE
Tickets can be purchased online here or on-site at the Ticket Office. For more information call (07) 3432 5100 or visit theworkshops.qm.qld.gov.au
Little Thomas fans have from 26 December 2015 until 31 January 2016 to meet Thomas and The Fat Controller, and enjoy all the Thomas toys and activities.
The Workshops Rail Museum, part of the Queensland Museum Network, is winner of Australian and Queensland Tourism Awards for Heritage & Cultural Tourism.